It’s been a little while since I’ve done a 5 Fandom Friday, but I’m back. I’ll be honest, I wasn’t exactly sure where to go with this post, but I just kind of winged it. Each Fandom has a story behind it, making it a little special to me.
1. I loved watching Batman: The Animated Series when I was a kid. Whenever it was on, I was sitting down watching it. This show made me realize it was perfectly ok for a girl to like a “boy” show and I didn’t feel shameful admitting it at all when I was a kid. Although I’m more of a Marvel than a DC girl, I do have a serious love of all things related to Batman.
2. The Lord of the Rings turned me on to the world of fantasy. I remember my parents dragging 16 year old me to see it in theaters. I seriously was so not interested and yet, I was enthralled but how amazing it was. I happily saw all of the following movies and although I’ve not yet attempted to read the books, I will one day. After watching this movie I was way more open to the world of fantasy.
3. Firefly was my first real intro into the world of nerd. I’ve heard for years how amazing the show was, but pre-geek I just never gave it a second thought. Naturally this was the first show I decided to watch and it was AMAZING. The characters, the story, everything was just amazing…well, short of the cancellation part. This show sort of opened the door for me.
4. I am, undoubtedly, obsessed with Star Wars. It makes me sad I missed out on years and years of this fandom, and that I missed out on knowing so many inspiring character while growing up (here’s to looking at you, Leia), but I’m glad I have it now. This is one fandom that my son and I really bond over. He loves Star Wars and I love being able to teach him what I know. This is an adventure we can go on together.
5. Harry Potter is my newest fandom and I’m just blown away by it. It makes me long for the days of being young and slightly regretful for wishing away my youth to “grow up.” Reading about their adventures, the bonds they share, well, it makes me miss being a teen. I love all of the characters and this entire world it just magical. I know these are characters that I’ll always carry with me.
Alice is my first fandom. As a kid, I just fell in love with Wonderland and wished it was a place I could visit. We all have our own Wonderlands, of course, but Alice’s looked and sounded pretty amazing. I have so many different Alice items in my home and this is something I’ve been collecting for years and years.
What fandoms are you thankful for? What was your first fandom?